Saturday 16 June 2012

Barred Umber

 

My 2012 spring visit to the Weald was so cold and wet that I did not record any moths. But whilst looking for something else I have just found this photograph of some of the contents of a trap run overnight on 7th - 8th May 2011. Brimstone Moth, Pebble Hook-tip and Scalloped Hazel all appear on the list for that day but I somehow overlooked the slightly worn Geometrid on the right hand side when I made that list. This is Barred Umber, Plagodis pulveraria, a species of ancient semi-natural woodland and 'new' for Flimwell. It has a local distribution. At present, according to the NBN website at least, there is no record for TQ73, Flimwell's 10km square, so good to be able to make this one retrospectively. (Nor, for that mattter, are there any records shown for TQ72 or TQ62 - two adjacent hectads in the High Weald AONB which are replete with ancient broad-leaved woodland - but probably under-recorded).

No comments:

Post a Comment